Location: Washington, D.C. area
Schedule: Flexible hybrid, minimum 2-3 days in-office per week
Salary: $150,000-$200,000 based on experience, plus a generous benefits package
Reports to: Vice President of Policy
Travel: Occasional travel
The Niskanen Center
Named “the most interesting think tank in American politics” by Time magazine in March 2023, the Niskanen Center is a public policy think tank and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening liberal democratic governance and promoting widespread prosperity and opportunity. Our vision of market liberalism is rooted in an effective public sector and a competitive private sector and is committed to upholding the principles of a pluralistic and open society that encourages engagement, cooperation, discussion, and learning.
The Niskanen Center seeks an experienced Director of Climate to lead our efforts on climate policy. Niskanen facilitates the enactment and implementation of meaningful, cost-effective federal climate policies to accelerate the decarbonization of the economy. Our work focuses on carbon taxation, climate and trade, transmission, permitting and siting, low-carbon energy innovation, regulatory and tax reform for clean energy infrastructure, and the analysis and communication of climate risks. We aim to educate and influence political, regulatory, and industry leaders while building broader coalitional policy support to further our work.
The ideal candidate can demonstrate successful fundraising and articulate and advance a strategic vision for the department. In addition, the candidate will have a deep understanding of climate challenges and compelling experience implementing innovative policy solutions. The Director will have the agency to expand and refine this agenda in coordination with the climate team and Niskanen leadership. This full-time, senior-level position reports to the Vice President of Policy.
- Maintain and tailor our institutional perspective on climate policy to conceive, plan, execute, and articulate an original research agenda;
- Develop and manage partnerships with other organizations, including policymakers, thought leaders, government agencies, non-profits, and private sector organizations;
- Build and iterate a strategic vision for the climate department;
- Collaborate with colleagues across the organization to ensure a consistent and integrated approach to climate policy; and
- Secure funding for the climate department’s initiatives.
- A commitment to the Niskanen Center’s mission;
- At least eight years of climate policy experience, focusing on developing and implementing policy solutions;
- At least three years of senior-level leadership experience and a strong policy reputation with existing leaders in the space;
- A deep understanding of the scientific, economic, and political aspects of climate change;
- A demonstrated track record of successful fundraising;
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills;
- Strong strategic leadership;
- A high degree of autonomy and personal drive; and
- A 3-5 year commitment to growing Niskanen’s climate team.
Benefits and Diversity Commitment
The expected annual salary range is $150,000-200,000, based on experience. In addition, the Niskanen Center offers a comprehensive employee benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance, federal holidays off, unlimited paid leave, a 403(b) plan, relocation assistance, and commuter benefits for DC area employees.
How to Apply
We only review applications after the deadline. Please include a cover letter and resume in your application. Be prepared to present additional materials during the interview process. Please apply using the link below. No phone calls, please.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 pm ET on May 11, 2023.
The Niskanen Center is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, veteran status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and beliefs, and we strongly encourage you to apply.