The Niskanen Center, a nonpartisan think tank and advocacy organization that works to promote an open society, is seeking an entry-level Policy Analyst to join our growing climate department. Niskanen’s climate program produces original research and policy analysis to make the case for reducing human-caused global warming, promote carbon taxation, and build coalitions supporting a market-based policy agenda for creating a low-carbon economy.
The Policy Analyst will perform high-profile research projects in coordination with senior staff and produce written material and commentary (blog posts, op-eds, letters to the editor) under their own authorship. Niskanen Center policy research is regularly presented in Congressional testimony, cited by legislators and policy influencers, and reported by media outlets. Excellent writing and communication skills are essential, and an entrepreneurial outlook will be rewarded.
The Analyst will report to our Director of Climate Policy and will be in Washington, DC.
The Policy Analyst will be expected to:
- Develop and maintain knowledge of current climate and energy policy issues and work in support of achieving long-term priorities, namely federal climate policy based on carbon taxation.
- Research and write studies, reports, blog posts, and op-eds on climate policy and politics.
- Assist in expanding the Niskanen Center’s presence in Washington DC, including with staff and members on Capitol Hill, relevant academics and experts, and media outlets by participating in briefings, coalition activities, and responding to inquiries.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 1-3 years of experience analyzing policy issues in climate, energy, or related fields from a rigorous economic, technical, or political perspective.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. political science, public policy, economics, or engineering). Additional educational experiences is a plus and alternative career experience with demonstrated excellence can substitute for formal training.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, leverage resources, tackle new challenges, and think creatively.
- Experience developing compelling materials for dissemination across different media (written, graphical, audio and video).
The Niskanen Center is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We also seek to expand our professional networks and workplace composition to better reflect our dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Position open until filled. Please include a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements in your application. No phone calls, please.