Position: 2022-2024 Litigation Law Fellow
Job Status: Full-Time
Bar Membership Required: Passed the bar in any U.S. jurisdiction. D.C. Bar license is preferable, but not required.
Experience: Entry Level (2-5 years)
The Niskanen Center, a nonpartisan think tank and advocacy organization that works to promote an open society, is seeking a Legal Fellow. The Fellow would work primarily on property rights issues created by the abuse of eminent domain by oil and gas pipeline companies, and other public interest litigation. The lawyer will report to Niskanen’s senior staff attorney and chief counsel. With the supervision and guidance of senior staff, the fellow will assume substantial responsibilities, including:
- Developing and litigating complex federal cases challenging the abuse of eminent domain by oil and gas pipeline companies, which will potentially involve extensive investigation, writing, and discovery (both documentary and via deposition).
- Conducting legal research, writing, and collaboration across all substantive Niskanen litigation issues.
- Coordinating with research associates, paralegals, and/or interns related to specific cases (but not formally supervising them).
Qualifications and Skills
- Possess a J.D. degree;
- At least 2 years of civil litigation experience;
- Superior oral communication skills and comfortability engaging outside individuals (including clients) and organizations;
- Possess the ability to manage independently long-term projects from conception to completion, and a willingness to collaborate with other Niskanen colleagues and stakeholders; and
- Strong interpersonal, research, and writing skills.
Benefits and Diversity Commitment:
The expected annual salary range is $70,000- $100,000, based on experience. In addition, the Niskanen Center offers a comprehensive employee benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance, federal holidays, and unlimited paid leave.
Niskanen Center is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We also seek to expand our professional networks and workplace composition to better reflect our dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion.
How to Apply
Position open until filled. Please include a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements in your application. Send all applications to: email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Applications must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm EST on Friday, January 7, 2022.
Photo Credit: iStock