The Niskanen Center is a nonpartisan public policy think tank and advocacy organization that seeks to build a compelling case for the mutually reinforcing relationships between the free market and the welfare state, individual liberty and social justice, social cohesion and multicultural pluralism, and economic well-being and environmental protection. We believe that conserving a free, competitive, and democratic society will require radical departures from existing policies. We work closely with the governing elites’ network in Washington, D.C., to advance meaningful and concrete change.
We are seeking a Human Resources Manager, who will report directly to the VP of Finance & Operations and work closely with the senior management team.
- Manage recruiting and interview processes and ensure that diverse, qualified candidates are hired, trained, and supported.
- Conduct and process employee onboarding, exit interviews, employee salary & status changes.
- Oversee payroll, benefits management, and other relevant systems.
- Maintain personnel records and reports.
- Maintain organizational charts, employee directory, employee files, standard HR forms, including hire letters, termination letters, separation agreements, and other standard forms.
- Continually improve, develop and implement clear, efficient, and accessible HR policies, workflows, and processes.
- Manage, maintain, and complete a thorough review of our employee handbook.
- Support effective ongoing and annual performance review processes, including usable forms and viable review schedules, collaborating with management to revise the system design as needed.
- Partner with executive leadership to advise on the organization’s compensation philosophy, strategy, and program to ensure pay equity and marketplace competitiveness.
- Perform benefits administration to include change reporting and communicating benefit information to employees.
- Annually review benefit offerings from current and alternate providers, analyze costs to both employees and Niskanen, make recommendations and facilitate management decisions.
- Organize HR-related events, including (currently remote) staff meetings, retreats, and holiday parties.
- Assist department directors with our internship program.
- Collaborate in identifying opportunities for staff training and professional development.
- Compose and issue regular engagement surveys, aid in implementing action plans based on the findings.
- Continually evaluate the need for company-wide periodic training sessions on key company culture policy issues such as harassment prevention training and other issues.
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations.
- Through words and actions, model a positive, inclusive, and productive culture that will meet the Center’s needs and align with its values.
- Provide a welcoming, approachable, and reliable sounding board for employee concerns, maintaining confidence as appropriate, and advising employees and managers to support effective resolution of employee concerns.
- Provide efficient and responsive service to employees on matters relating to compensation, benefits, and other HR items.
Qualifications and skills:
- Minimum of three years of human resources work experience, preferably for a nonprofit.
- Advanced degrees or certifications such as SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP), SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP), or PHR are preferred.
- Knowledge of multiple HR disciplines and best practices, including employee relations, compensation and benefits administration, change management, and organizational development, in both theory and practice.
- Understanding of HR employment laws and regulatory systems and requirements.
- Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office applications and Google Suite: Excel, Google Sheets, and Google Forms. Familiarity with HRIS systems and processes.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, ability to be a capable ambassador internally and externally.
How to Apply
Position open until filled. Please include a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements in your application. Send all applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.